Friday was another visit with Early Childhood Intervention. Roland had his Friday off so he left to go on a little adventure with Weston while I stayed with Natalie. During this visit we continued to focus on identification of objects and signing. I think I forgot to write about this, but earlier in the week Natalie had spontaneously signed "all done" to me during breakfast. I was so proud of her! It took me a second to figure out what she was doing, but she most definitely was distinctly signing to me that she was done with her oatmeal. It was really cute to see her little hands waving to me.
Anyway, we spent the majority of the visit playing with puzzles, one of which was a puzzle of animals. Each time she picked up a piece we would name the animal and make its sound. The EIS taught me to use this time to help her identify objects. We would hold up two puzzle pieces in front of her and tell her the name of each. We would then ask her to grab a specific one. Didn't work too well but it at least got her thinking. She had her mind set on what she wanted and she could care less what we wanted her to do.
During the visit, we both heard a very distinct "cat" out of her mouth. We both looked up at each other with wide eyes. Natalie got a lot of praise for that one. It was the clearest word I have ever heard her mutter. I heard a very clear and separate "c," "a," and "t" sound.
In order to increase her vocabulary, the EIS suggested that I make words out of the little mutterings she does. During the visit, Natalie was getting mad at the puzzle pieces and was exclaiming "Aow!!" each time she threw a piece out. The EIS then said "Out!" each time she threw the piece and said "Aow!" This way, she was trying to teach her the word "out" in context with a sound she was already trying to make. I am so impressed by them! I guess this is why they are the professionals.
The visit ended with some instruction and reinforcement strategies. She told me that Natalie definitely has great problem solving skills which is a good sign. We just have to work on the communication and application. She told me to continue to work with her by showing her objects, labeling them, then asking her to choose a specific one. She also instructed me to continue working with her at signing. Hopefully our next visit will also prove successful. We should have the results of her ABR by then so we will have some definite answers to work with.
Since the visit, Natalie has also added "bye" to her vocabulary. When we leave, she turns around to the people or place we are leaving, waves, and says "buh!" It is really cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment