Friday, April 2, 2010

Surgery Day


Today was surgery day! After a long wait, the day was finally here for Natalie to have tubes put in her ears.

I tried to get everything organized and ready last night to just dart out the door. I thought I did pretty good, but there are always snags. I was impressed with myself though. We were out the door at 5:55am, only ten minutes after I wanted to. Not too shabby. But, we were supposed to be there at 6:15am and it is 25 minutes away, so oops!

Natalie was a doll as usual. She gave out lots of hugs as Dad got her dressed. She was a little confused as to the occasion but certainly enjoyed the attention from her Daddy.

True to my record so far here in Dallas - I got lost. This place is the most confusing place I have ever seen in my life. On a brief tangent let me just quickly explain why this place makes no sense as a driver. First of all, all of the freeways twist and wind and really have no specific direction (Phoenix is like a grid - you have your north/south and your east/west and never the twain shall meet). All of these freeways overlap and twist around each other (or so it seems at least). Also, the on and off ramps are the most confusing things. I don't even know how to explain it - you will just have to come here and experience it for yourself. Then, you have the fact that there are no mountains or landmarks of any kind. So, add the fact that the roads don't stick to a specific direction and you are asking for disaster. I never know if I am facing east, north, west - who knows! Then, on top of all of that, throw in the fact that this silly place observes daylight saving time so that at 6am when the rest of the world has sunshine, we have pitch black. So, I can't see a darn thing. Needless to say, this was a recipe for an absolute mess.

But luckily after a quick call to the surgical center and careful inspection of a google map printed out by my kind husband, I found an alternate route - one that did not require me to get back on their confusing toll road. With all of that I managed to arrive only 15 minutes late of my 6:15am deadline. I considered myself pretty successful.

We arrived and the kind receptionist that gave me directions greeted us and congratulated me on finding my way. I was impressed with how quickly they got us through registration and sooner than I could imagine we were waiting for our turn to be called back. Natalie of course gave eyes to everyone there. Every single person was cooing over how adorable she was.

Natalie and I sat on the couch and read books, colored with the Magna-doodle, and talked to each other. After several minutes of that, and the occasional look up to flaunt how cute she was to the older couple sitting by us, she decided it was time to explore. We walked about the foyer along with the other toddlers waiting for their surgeries too. She even walked up to the receptionist again, who couldn't contain herself with giddiness to hold her. Natalie obliged and even gave her a big 'ole hug to which the receptionist just melted.

But, the fun had to come to an end when we were called back. They took us to Natalie's little waiting room and handed us some soft pajamas to put her in. We went over all of the paperwork and procedures what seemed like five or six times. They were all so kind and very thoughtful. But, they don't help much with the nerves when they explain to you exactly what is going to happen over and over and over again. Thoughtful, but certainly not necessary. I met with the nurse, OR nurse, anesthesiologist, and doctor all separately. Each went over the procedure with me and what to expect. I was very impressed with how sweet each of them were - and of course, they all doted over Natalie - every single one!


As it got closer to the surgery time Natalie started getting a little nervous. I think she could sense something was up. She was getting antsy and had a very concerned look on her face. She had been clutching her flip flops this whole time and now held on even tighter (she has not let these out of her sight since she got them yesterday).

I was very impressed when two nurses and the anesthesiologist walked in right at 7:45am (the scheduled surgery time) to take her away. They were very quick and before I knew it they grabbed her and were walking out the door. Natalie was very concerned. I am shocked I didn't hear her burst into tears the minute they stepped outside the room.


Me and all of my motherly paranoid glory sat there in the room and waited. I turned on the news so that I could be paranoid about all of the other stuff going on in the world rather than my little girl in the next room.

No more than ten minutes later the Dr walked in the room and said he was done and that everything went well. He did say that there was an active infection in the ear but that the fluid itself was no longer infected. He told me to continue the antibiotics through the weekend and then just stick to the drops. He gave me a few more post-op instructions and departed, telling me that I could be with her shortly.

I sat there for maybe another five minutes or so when I heard some crying. I swore it was Natalie but I figured that was way too soon for her to be awake. Two minutes later another nurse walked in the room and told me that Natalie was waiting for me. I walk to another room nearby and sure enough - that was Natalie! She had two nurses holding her in a blanket trying to console her. The poor girl was in hysterics.

They informed me that children come out of anesthesia quickly and that they are usually very disoriented and confused so therefore hysterical. They handed her to me and she continued to sob. I couldn't calm her. I tried rocking her, singing to her, talking to her... nothing worked. She would scream, arch, try to get down, wiggle, and throw herself every direction she could. Luckily since the medication wears off rather quickly, she was calming down within a few minutes. She soon resorted to just whimpers and cuddled into my shoulder. Poor little thing.

8:30 am. We are leaving the surgical center. I must say, I was very impressed and shocked. That was the fastest and most efficient procedure ever. We still had our day before us!


Natalie is such a different child already (unless it is just me being hyper-vigilant). I didn't think it was possible, but she is even more smiley than normal! Her grins are even wider and she does everything with so much more vigor. Her eyes seem wider as she takes in a whole new world. She walks faster to things and practically runs towards toys and other destinations. She also enjoys hearing me talk. She is trying really hard to say things and was super excited when she started saying "pa, pa, pa" as she was patting her chest (one of her only words). Who knows, maybe we will start to hear some other words soon? We have high hopes.

Oh, and I must say, she is just so absolutely adorable. We were in her room playing with toys and she starts twirling around in circles (which is what she does when she wants to do "ring around the rosies"). Then, she stops, grabs my finger, and tries to twirl me around with her. It was so cute. So, I joined her and began singing. She giggles and falls down at the end with a giant smile on her face. What a cutie! What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment