So I finally came to the realization today that there will never be a dull day with two toddlers around and I am okay with that!
As an example, let me paint a picture for you. Today we get home from the gym and the kids are hungry. It was a fight to get Weston up the stairs because he found a shovel and pail in the car and decided he was going to go to the playground to dig up some dirt (because apparently sand doesn't exist here). After lots of coercing and promising that we would go out when Daddy got home, he finally went up the stairs and into the house.
I have Weston tugging on me on one side for me to put cars on the television and Natalie is tugging at me on the other side for some food. I did my best to pacify both.
Fast forward a half hour. We have calmed down a bit and are relaxing in front of the television. I figured I could leave them alone for a little bit so I head into the kitchen to clean up and put some dishes away. After all, I need to make it look like I actually do something productive all day. The mere fact that our children are still alive at the end of the day isn't quite productive enough.
Weston had been "excited" all day and so had on several occasions knocked Natalie over or tackled her in some fashion. Earlier he had pulled her hair and then refused to tell her that he was sorry. That was a whole twenty minute fiasco in and of itself.
Anyway, I am in the kitchen and I hear a loud bang. I look over the bar to see Weston on top of Natalie who is on her back and apparently had slammed her head into the wall. She was screaming pretty loud. As I am calling to Weston for the umpteenth time to be nice I hear a second child wailing. I walk over to see Weston in hysterics and blood pouring out of his mouth. Lovely.
As I am panicking thinking he has lost a tooth in this whole ordeal he is staring at his hand which is now covered in blood from his mouth. He continues to cry as I pick him up and carry him off to the sink. He has completely lost it at this point as I am trying to stop the pool of blood that is dripping out. I can't tell at all what is going on so I am still not sure if all of his teeth are in tact. I grabbed a wash cloth and began applying a little bit of pressure to get the bleeding to stop. He eventually calms down so I am able to assess the situation a little better.
I still haven't seen any tooth fall out and there doesn't appear to be anything sitting in his mouth so I think we are in the clear. Phew! As the blood begins to slow down I am able to just dab at his mouth from time to time. I see a small scab begin to form. Looks like he sliced his top lip pretty good. That was sure a lot of blood for a cut. He is calm by this point and is done with me providing lots of attention to his mouth. He leaves and continues to play although I do catch him fiddling with his enlarged lip with this tongue from time to time.
Five minutes later. Natalie is hungry - again. This girl can eat. She started investigating the dining room for any food that might be at her disposal. She knows that I had not cleaned up after snack time yet. Weston unfortunately doesn't know how to sit and eat so food tends to sit out for a while while he grazes. Natalie climbs up onto the chair, grabs the pretzel bag (because Weston refused to eat it any other way than straight out of the bag), and proceeds to dump it upside down. That's right - the pretzel bag of all things in all of its salty glory. I have never seen so much salt in my life.
At this point I am losing it. I yell, "NA-TA-LIEEEEE!!!" after which Weston looks at me and goes, "NATALIE!" Great. I have a parrot now. Nap time could not come soon enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment