This will be a post about our silly little boy. Yes, none other than the crazy Mr. Weston. I have been rather proud of myself for never actually losing this boy out in public. I have credited it to the fact that my husband has amazing reflexes and even quicker eyes. He has some sort of Weston radar and gets inside his head. When the husband is not with me, I usually resort to strapping both kids down to the stroller so as not to lose either. Then, I don't let them out of my sight.
This strategy seems to have worked up to this point. Then, on all days of course (April Fools Day), Weston decides to pull one on us.
Roland came home from work and I casually mentioned to him that we needed to get Natalie some flip flops because she had been infatuated with Weston's all day. She lovingly held them in her hands and many times tried to put them on but to no avail. She quickly learned that if she whimpered at me that I would come to her rescue and strap them to her little feet. She would give me an enormous grin and would be on her merry way, making sure to carefully step so the shoe would not fall off. Inevitably she would make it just a few steps, the flip flop would fall off, and we would start the whole process all over again.
So, Roland took it to heart and we were in the car within minutes on our way across the street to Old Navy. Old Navy is always our store of choice for flip flops. After all, who can beat 2 for $5? That is a steal!
Not wanting to bother with the double stroller and all of its glory, we opted out and each grabbed a child. We soon found a table with paper and crayons and the kids got to coloring while I began my search for toddler flip flops. Me and my lack of focus got side tracked staring at all of the adorable clothes and of course who can pass up the clearance section? After deciding I should stick to my plan, I began looking for the gold at the end of the rainbow.
No luck. Women's flip flops - check. Men's flip flops - check. Little girl flip flops - check. Little boy flip flops - check. Toddler flip flops? Apparently Dallas does not believe in flip flops for toddlers. I know Old Navy carries them because I just purchased a new pair for Weston in Phoenix before we left. But nope - toddlers in Texas shun the thought of flip flops. One more thing to add to the list of things I find odd about this town.
Anyway, the kids are no longer at the table so I wander until I find them playing at the front of the store. Both are walking as quickly as they can in circles around all of the fun "last minute" items. Roland seems pleased to finally see me again. Seeing that I was unsuccessful, he insists that I just didn't see them. So, we head to the back of the store again.
We look and look and of course they are no where to be found. But, we did see a pink hat for Natalie. Natalie is addicted to hats. Seeing as the pink hat we got her for Christmas was too small because silly Mommy wasn't thinking, we figured we should probably get one that fits. For the time being, she is very content with the red scooby doo hat and blue hat that are at her disposal. But, I think we should probably opt for something a little more girly.
Anyway, while we are looking at hats, Weston is over at the table again coloring. He isn't too far away and I can see him well from where we are standing, so I let him be. But, to be safe, I looked up every two seconds to make sure he was still there.
This is how fast he is. I looked and verified he was still sitting at the table. Yup, he was. I looked down at the size tag on the hat because Roland asked me a question. I looked up to check on Weston again and he is gone! Are you kidding me?
I figure he has to be pretty close so start calling his name. Nothing. I look through all of the clothes displays by the table. Nothing. Still call his name. Nothing. I call over to Roland and tell him Weston is gone and to go cover the door. Roland darts to the front with Natalie in tow and I begin my frantic search.
I continue to call for him as I search through every section and each row of clothing. Off in the distance I hear a faint, "mom, mom..." I try my best to follow where the sound is coming from but it is really muffled. As I continue forward I can hear that it is getting louder. I proceeded at a quicker pace.
I round the corner and enter a new section. What do I find? Weston standing at the very top of their moving ladders! He had discovered their "toy" and decided he wanted to explore this remarkable contraption. He snuck under the tie off rope and stepped all the way up to the very top. He must have been at least ten feet high. He looked pretty relieved to see me. That is quite a height for a little boy!
Hopefully he learned his lesson. I have a feeling he didn't though. Back to the stroller!
I lost Megan in Mervyn's when she was about Weston's age. She was in the stroller with Kenna, but convinced me to let her walk and hold onto the stroller. I looked away for just a second and she was gone! It seemed like forever before she was found (after announcing to everyone in the store on loud speaker to look for a little lost toddler). She was found by a store employee in the jewelry section (opposite side of the store) calmly looking through the necklaces. Your story bought back all those emotions from 23 years ago. I bought a baby leash after that!!!
ReplyDelete