Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Kids - the Daredevils

My kids are crazy.  I have known that from day one.  Nothing scares them.  They have no fear.

Natalie especially.

We were at playgroup last Tuesday which happened to be swimming.  All of the moms were sitting in their chairs talking while their toddlers splashed on the steps and played carefully by the side of the pool.  Not me.  I had both Natalie and Weston running around terrorizing the place.  They were grabbing all of the toys on the side of the pool and throwing them into the water one by one.  Then, they would lean over the edge and grab all of the toys again so they could throw them into the water once more.  They were trying to walk off steps, get out of the pool gate, and get into everyone's bags.  Natalie kept throwing fishy crackers into the water.  I looked like a crazed lunatic running after both of them.

I have become quite skilled in playing with one child and keeping one eye on the other.  It comes with the territory of having two wild children that like to get themselves into predicaments.  So, I am in the pool on the steps with Weston helping him to "surf" on a small water board.  Natalie is over by the deep end trying to fish toys out of the pool.

I am playing with Weston when I look up and see Natalie's head dip below the water.  I never even heard a splash.  She slipped in so quietly ... which is incredibly scary.  I leaped out of the water, took three giant running leaps across the deck and jumped into the deep end.  I remember careening to the bottom of the pool and thinking "oh yeah, you sink first - great - that might not have been the smartest idea."  I quickly swam up to the surface with my arms outstretched to push her up and out of the water.  I remember my hands were above my head and they fit perfectly under her back as I lifted her body up and out of the water. 

All of the moms came running to the side of the pool and grabbed her from me so I could get out of the pool.  They instantly began asking "How did she do that?!"  "Do what?" I asked.  They went on to tell me that she was floating!  I guess that makes sense with how my hands pushed on her back and not on her bottom.  They told me that she had turned to her back and had managed to keep her head fairly above water. 

When we pulled her out of the water, she gagged and coughed a few times, then she was off.  It didn't phase her one bit.  I was shaking and had adrenaline pumping through my body and all of the moms were standing there in shock.  Then, there is little 'ole Natalie who just smiles and runs off to go find some more toys to throw into the water.  See?!  No fear.  I am constantly on lifeguard duty in my home.  And people wonder why I am a basket case.

Thank you to Grandma Summerhays for working with Natalie in the pool just three days earlier.  She must have learned something.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment