Friday September 24, 2010
This was supposed to be a post about our amazingly awesome adventure to the grand opening of the Children's Aquarium at Fair Park, but no. You won't be reading about that ridiculously fun time we had. You probably won't be reading about that for a really long time. Bummer for you and bummer for us. Thank you State Fair of Texas.
This story begins back in March of this year. Yes, that's right - we had been looking forward to this day since March! We had just moved here to Texas and thought we would head out to find fun things to do. That fun thing? The zoo. We went knowing we were going to get the annual zoo pass. I mean, why wouldn't you? It's tax deductible and it pays for itself after only two visits. Upon purchase, we discovered that it also granted us free admission to the Dallas aquarium. Double score! We were excited.
We went home and looked up the aquarium. We discovered that unfortunately it was under extreme renovation and that it would be re-opening sometime in 2010. We waited patiently these past several months then finally got word that the aquarium would be re-opening September 24. I diligently read our zoo member emails to gather more and more information. I received two this week. It was for sure opening September 24 and we could only get in free until November 30. I thought that was a little stinky, but oh well. I was going to get my money's worth until November 30. First opportunity? Opening day. Perfect! It was Roland's Friday off. I was excited.
Last night I tried to look up opening times and any other information I could find regarding the aquarium and anything I needed to know about it and my visit. Information was very hard to come by. Their official site still had not updated to show that it was even re-opening. I thought it was odd, but I went with the email and we planned our trip. I explained to Weston that we would be seeing sharks, fish, turtles, and other fun animals the next day. He was excited. I don't think anyone was as excited as me though. They boasted of petting areas for sting rays and star fish and had giant shark tanks. I felt silly but I had a hard time containing my excitement.
We woke up this morning and got ready to go. We had to take a short pit stop along the way - the doctor. We got some antibiotics for Natalie (after finding out she did in fact have a severe sinus infection - that she had been battling for two weeks now) and also got two flu vaccines (one for Natalie and one for Weston). Once that was out of the way, we were on the road again. Nothing was going to stop us from going to that aquarium today!
We arrived to find the State Fair of Texas in our way. Since the fair grounds took up all of Fair Park (which is also where the Children's Museum, Planetarium, Aquarium, and other places are), we had to pay for Fair parking. Want to guess how much that was?! $15! That is the most ridiculously priced parking I have ever seen. I can't believe people go knowing this in advance. Begrudgingly we paid our dues and found a parking spot. People were directing us left and right to the fair but we kept informing everyone we wanted to go to the Aquarium. All we got were blank stares.
So, we parked and walked. Each person who directed us to the Fair box office we informed that we were going to the Aquarium and they apologized that they did not have directions for us. We did eventually find a map and discovered that the Fair box office was blocking our entrance, so we walked completely around the perimeter to try to get in another way. We found what looked to be a general entrance, so we began walking in. We got scanned and then they asked for our tickets. I showed them our zoo pass and informed them we were going to the Aquarium and not the fair. The lady looked puzzled and shuffled us off to an austere woman.
The woman glanced us over, looked at our zoo pass and grufflly said, "I haven't seen this before. Follow me." She walked over to a station where there was a list of "acceptable" entrance tickets to the fair. Wanting to make sure she understood what we were wanting, I informed her that we were not interested in the fair but were going to the aquarium. This statement must have somehow severely offfended her because what happened next blew me away.
With attitude written all over her face, she bluntly replies, "You need a ticket to get into the fair." I again replied, "I don't want to go to the fair, I want to go to the aquarium." Now there is cynicism mixed with attitude. "The aquarium is on the fair grounds. You will not be going to the aquarium without buying a fair ticket." Now I am getting angry. What's with the attitude?
Upon later reflection, I compared this whole idea they are proposing to a grocery trip. Say I arrive at Kroger wanting to do my grocery shopping for the week. Upon entrance to the grocery store, I am approached by a man telling me I need to pay $30 to enter the grocery store because I am passing through his flower display in the lobby. I tell him that I only want to buy groceries and that I am not interested in looking at his flowers. He then tells me that unfortunately the only way into the grocery store is by passing through his display so regardless of whether or not I look at them, I must pay him the fee to enter. Doesn't this seem silly? So wouldn't this be just as silly in this situation?
I told her, "Why would I buy a fair ticket to go to an aquarium? Is there not a back entrance? Is the only way I can get into the aquarium through the fair?" She replies with the whole hip roll, finger point, and pursed lips, "Yup." You can see the smug look on her face as if she is thoroughly enjoying this. Apparently she receives her jollies through the unfortunate circumstances of others. I asked her, "How long is the fair here?" Slathered with all kinds of attitude she says, "Through the 17th." Then she pauses and grins while she watches me squrim.
At this point I am just frustrated and angry. Why is she treating me this way? Did I do something to offend her? Did someone pee on her cheerios this morning? Did I look at her the wrong way? Did my kid kick her in the shin? Is she using this as a way to finally "stick it to the white girl?" Who knows. All I know is she is dishing a full course of attitude and I am not okay with it.
Feeling defeated, I asked her, "So how much is a fair ticket?" She gets the biggest, smuggest grin on her face. I wanted to slap it off. "$15" she replies and gives me a toothy smile. Now I am furious. What is with her blantant rudeness? I was angry. I regrettably started yelling back. I told her, "You expect me to pay $15 for fair parking and $30 for us to get in to the fair, all to go to the aquarium that I can get into for free?! This is ludicrous! I have absolutely no interest in going to your stupid fair. I could care less! I just want to go to the blasted aquarium!"
She smiles again and says, "You can always buy a coke," and points over to the coke machine just outside the fair grounds. I yell at her, "I don't want a coke!!!!" I think I am spitting fire at this point. I obviously did not handle myself very well. I was at my wits end. I had never been treated so rudely in my entire life.
She points to the exit. "You need to exit right here right now." I turned and pushed the stroller through the exit and burst into tears. I was out of control. I sobbed all the way to the car. I felt like an idiot. I don't know why I was so emotional. I could not understand why she had been so incredibly rude to us when all we wanted to do was to go to the aquarium like we promised our kids. Poor Weston kept looking back at me trying to figure out why Mommy was so upset. I was more upset by the fact that we just wasted $15 on false pretenses that we could go to the aquarium. I was upset that no one could give us information and we had wasted our time and money.
Luckily, I have the sweetest husband in the world. On the way out, he parked next to the parking entrance, walked over to the window, and talked to the parking guy. He was able to get our $15 back. What a guy! That made me feel much better! At least we didn't walk away from the whole experience $15 poorer.
So, we went to the zoo instead. At least the zoo is always there for us. Weston could still see his fish. Thank goodness for that. Oh, and I was sure to leave a nice comment card at the zoo to make sure they informed everyone on the email that you actually have to pay to get into the fair to go to the aquarium. I thought it would be kind of them to make sure people knew this before they were bombarded by the rude lady. Looks like we are going to the aquarium after the 17th. And for that, I don't care for you right now State Fair of Texas.


No comments:
Post a Comment