Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Updates

I noticed that all I really do is document what the kids are doing, but haven't really documented what we are up to in general. So, the following is an update on our day to day lives.

Roland is still working at the University of Phoenix as an enrollment counselor. We are very grateful for his employment during this difficult economic time. Unfortunately, it makes him miserable though. I feel bad that he spends his entire day doing something that he despises and isn't very good at. Roland was blessed with a very honest heart and genuine desire to help others. The ironic part is that you would think that would help him in his job, but it actually is his downfall. Therefore, he constantly is on edge waiting for a "talking" from his manager or department heads. Doesn't make for a very happy and fulfilling day and living. :( So, in an effort to improve his spirits (and our quality of life) we are still in a constant search for a job to launch his career. We are trying our best to stay in high spirits, remain faithful, and patient. We know that when the time is right, the Lord will make it happen. In the meantime, we press forward!

Roland was also starting to get a little antsy, so he joined a rugby club. We were a little hesitant because rugby is how he initially destroyed his knee six years ago. We definitely did not want a repeat (especially just after a second knee surgery). He promised me that he will be more careful this time and that the reason he got injured last time was because he wasn't as familiar with the game yet. He had resisted the hit rather than just falling and that caused the injury. So, he is using this season to just practice with the team and try to get his knee back in good shape. He wants to use this season to really learn the game well in order to avoid future injury. His knee isn't cleared for sports until January anyway (let alone rugby) so he will wait to actually play until next year. I am excited for him to have this opportunity. He is absolutely loving it! It is nice to see him having fun doing something that he loves.

Roland is still working with the Boy Scouts in the ward as the Scoutmaster. It keeps him very busy and gone at campouts often but he enjoys his interactions with the boys. He recently got them all excited about rugby too.

(chilling at Daddy's team's rugby game)

As far as I go, I stopped working with BriteWhite. I was doing teeth whitening on the side but it became too difficult trying to work with the owner. He was very flaky and disorganized so I finally just decided to let it go. I have picked up my first piano student since I moved to the valley. I am super excited. I was a little nervous at first because it had been a while since I had taught, but it feels like I just picked up where I left off. It helps that my student is super excited and absorbs things like a sponge. It is a pleasure working with her. We have a lot of fun. I also love being at home with my children. It is definitely a lot of work and I often get overwhelmed, but I love being around their sweet spirits and watching them learn and grow. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

I don't really have any hobbies right now. I was doing digital scrapbooking but when our computer crashed, I had all of my files backed up but I didn't back up any of my programs, duh! So, that will have to wait until we have some disposable income again. I am bummed about it, but such is life!

I am currently the primary pianist in our ward. It is a very fun calling. I enjoy being with the little children - and behind the piano is even better! I just have to show up each week. It is great! I also am the visiting teaching coordinator so that keeps me busy with the constant changes and phone calls. I enjoy and appreciate my opportunites to serve.

Weston and Natalie just enjoy being kids. Every Wednesday in September the Phoenix Zoo offered free admission with your Fry's card so we took advantage of it! Unfortunately we weren't able to go today since we are down to one car again while our second is lent out to a stranded family member, but I think the kids will survive! They did have a blast though just getting out of the house and seeing exciting animals. Weston especially enjoyed their fun splash pad.
(us at the zoo)


The kids also enjoy their trips to the park. Weston is a pro at climbing up the steps and running to the slides. And, he must say "whee!" each time he goes down. He is so funny! What I love even more is that he gets all of his energy out so he is tired when we get home. He loves running in the grass, up and down the hills. So, this tires him out quickly thank goodness. His new favorite thing to do is to push or pull Natalie in the wagon as he goes up and down the hills. Even better! I am impressed with Weston's strength as he usually does this unassisted. Occasionally he gets stuck and needs some help, but for the most part, it is all him! Natalie enjoys her ride and Weston gets tired even quicker. They both enjoy it quite a bit. It is really cute to watch.
(Weston being helpful and brushing Natalie's hair for church)

Weston continues to love and adore his sister. I will often walk in to find him giving her kisses, giving her hugs, bringing her toys, etc. The other day and I walked in to see him straddling her with his legs and reaching his arms around her to play cars with her. It was so precious. I ran to grab my camera but the silly camera was so slow that by the time it actually took the picture, Weston was in the process of getting up. Darn! Oh well. Weston also loves to help feed her food and offers her all sorts of things he probably shouldn't. We have to sure keep our eye on him!

Well, that is our lives in a nutshell. We are very happy and love spending time as a family. We have been truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post--sometimes I feel like my whole blog is just about Seth! Mind if I copy your idea?

    Oh, how I wish you lived here! I have more piano students than I really want, plus 6 on a waiting list. The market is ripe--tell Roland to get you out here! And Primary pianist=best calling in the church. Zero prep + tons of entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I look over it and it is all the kids, which is fine because that's why I started it, but I figure I also want to document what is happening to us too! :) I actually did this because a friend of mine did an update and I realized that I need to as well ... so hop on the bandwagon! :)

    Wow, you are in high demand! I should probably look more diligently for more piano students as we really need the money, but I have a hard time seeking out students knowing that we could move at any time. The funny thing is that one of the 5,000+ jobs that we have applied to was actually in your city. That was about three months ago though. Who knows though, we could end up out that direction. It would be fun to be by you. We are applying pretty much everywhere, so it may happen.

    I love being the primary pianist. You are totally right - no prep and lots of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete