Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Feeling Sheepish

I always thought the curse of the mom brain was someone's lame excuse for not having a good memory. I told myself though that I was to make sure I would never fall victim to this supposed curse. I am sad to say though, that there was no escape. Let me tell you just of my top "mom brain" moments from the past two days. Please keep in mind, this is only over the course of two days!

Mom Brain Moment #1
This is more of a general theme that graces each day... The words "what was I going to say?" are probably the top phrase in my vocabulary these days. I can never remember anything, and it is usually in just a matter of seconds.

Mom Brain Moment #2
After two months of trying to get Natalie in to see the ENT and having no luck whatsoever, I call them one more time. I was supposed to get her in before her 6month appointment (which was scheduled for today - see Mom brain moment #3) but was not having any luck with that. They were supposed to call me back with times on two separate occassions and never did. The day she was supposed to go came and went and they had never returned my calls. So, I call them again to find out what is going on. They ask for her information and after several minutes on hold they tell me that she has an appointment on June 22nd at 12:15pm. I told them that I was never told this and that "this would be helpful information to know." I think they felt bad so she told me that I could come that day (being yesterday) at 4pm. Later that day I was thinking it over and I think I can vaguely remember some sort of appointment being set up because I remember that the time was very inconvenient (since it was during nap time). Who knows, I could have carried on a conversation that I completely forgot about or maybe it was a different appointment entirely. At this point I have absolutely no clue.

Mom Brain Moment #3
Natalie had her 6month appointment scheduled for this morning at 9am (or so I thought). I got up early and made sure I was ready and the diaper bag was packed. I got Weston up and dressed then took Natalie out of bed and fed and dressed her. I was about ready to leave when I thought to myself that it was odd I never received a confirmation call. I decided to call to verify. They asked me for her information and politely told me that she was scheduled for the 19th at 9am. How do I do this?! I even wrote the appointment down while I was still at the Dr office. Did I just hear them incorrectly when I wrote it down? How do I mess up that badly? Tuesday sounds nothing like Friday and the 16th sounds nothing like the 19th. This one is bad! All I can say is that I am really glad that I called before I showed up there and looked like a complete moron instead of just sounding like a complete moron.

Mom Brain Moment #4
This brings me to mom brain moment 4. Since Roland had so kindly let us use the Corolla (since the A/C at least blows warm air and is tinted rather than hot air like the Chrysler) I figured that I needed to at least use the car today so that him dying in the heat was not completely in vain. So, we headed out to visit with the cousins. After we all finally piled in the cars, we headed for the park. We spent a good hour there before Weston was pretty much done (he saw some kids playing basketball and all he wanted was the ball after that) and Natalie was getting tired and hot. We get home and I take Weston out of the car and put him in the house (I didn't want him walking in the garage due to the Raid everywhere - see previous post). When I put Weston down, he freaks out because Natalie is still in the car. So, he runs back to the garage screaming "Natalie, Natalie!" I'm not even going to bother trying to keep him out so I let him in the garage with me while I pick her up. Natalie is crying hard at this point because she is so tired and wants to eat. Weston of course picks up a wooden stick that happened to be right where I sprayed and starts playing with it. Then, he starts patting the ground right in the pile of dead ants (and of course Raid). I am freaking out hoping he doesn't touch anything or put his hands in his mouth so I am trying to coerce him back into the house while carrying Natalie. I put Natalie down in the hallway (still screaming) and take Weston into the bathroom to wash his hands. He finishes washing his hands and I reach for the towel. I can't get it off the towel rack because of the way it is bunched up between the holder and the wall. I am getting frazzled at this point with Natalie screaming so I yank on the towel really hard (duh! - here is where the mom brain comes in). I ended up ripping the entire towel rack completely out of the wall and even took some dry wall with it. Screws and other random things go flying in the air and dry wall particles are flying in the air and adorning the ground. Once again, what a moron! Weston looks at it with a puzzled look but I just shoo him out and shut the door. Last thing I need is him swallowing a screw. Aagh!

I'm sure there are other mom brain moments but of course I can't remember them now. Ask Roland! :)

2 comments:

  1. hahahaha Alicia! I can not stop laughing, my stomach hurts! I'm going to start checking your blog everyday for daily entertainment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, I better start posting more! ;) There definitely is no lack of stories though!

    ReplyDelete