(pictures coming)
Natalie turns two today. What an exciting day. What a better way to spend it than go to the Dr for your well visit? Shots are always the best birthday present. Don't you think?
Natalie's stats:
Weight: 24 pounds 14 ounces (25%)
Height: 32 3/4 inches (25%)
Body Mass Index: 15.5 (25%)
Head Circumference: 19.5 inches (90%) - she has always had a big head!
Everything went well at her visit today. She is healthy (other than of course another sinus infection, but what else is new? The girl lives on antibiotics. I am beginning to think she doesn't even have an immune system). Natalie continues to fall short on her milestones. Today the pediatrician talked to me about getting her tested for autism and also referred me to a developmental pediatrician that can better treat her. I kind of surprised myself, because hearing that didn't really come as much of a shock. I never thought she was autistic, but when she mentioned she wanted her tested, it all made sense. I later went home and read the symptoms. While some don't really describe her at all, a lot of them describe her perfectly. So, we will see. I already talked to her Early Childhood Intervention case manager and she will be out here to do an autism screening next week. In addition, she will probably start speech therapy as well as occupational therapy to help with her fine motor skills as well as a possible sensory disfunction. I have not heard back from the developmental pediatrician yet on what they plan to do. So, she always keeps us busy.
Natalie's speech continues to improve, although it is not where I hoped it would be. By two years old she should have a vocabulary of 100 or so words. The following is her current list of spontaneous, consistent words:
-da - dad
-ma ma ma ma - mom (only done in whining)
- owww - oh or ouch
- shoo - shoe
-go! (with a very soft g) - go!
That is about it. She used to say thank you, although I have not heard her say it in a long time. I have also heard her say cat, duck, pretzel, cup, and a few other things but they are all a one or two time occurrence and then never again. So, I hope we can help her if that is what she needs.
Natalie is just an absolute doll. She loves to smile, giggle, cuddle, give hugs, and give kisses. She is just so adorable. She will walk by and just give a big, cheesy grin that just makes you melt. She knows she has us wrapped around her little finger. I absolutely love cuddling with her. She is always so excited to see me and will just hug me forever and ever. I love having a little girl!
Natalie loves to look pretty. She likes anything cute and adores shoes. She will find bracelets and place them carefully on her arms, then will lift her arms up and look at them with complete adoration and satisfaction. She doesn't care for stuff in her hair, but if you can convince her that she looks "so pretty" then she will usually look herself over in the mirror and leave it alone. It is never a guarantee though. I just love her hair pulled up though. It shows off her adorable face and sweet smile!
Natalie loves to eat. She eats all day long. Her favorites include:
-oatmeal
-blueberries
-dried mangoes
-pretzels
-spaghetti
-oranges
-ketchup (she uses her chicken nuggets to lick up the ketchup)
Unfortunately, she is still quite the messy eater. She can make a seemingly clean meal turn into a disaster. She is getting better with her utensils and tries her best, but I usually have to still help her with her spoon in the morning with her oatmeal. I am hoping occupational therapy can help us with that too!
Natalie loves to climb. She climbs on everything and has no fear. She is very skilled at the playground and can scale walls and ladders like a professional. I am super impressed with her agility. She loves to rough house with her daddy and sometimes Weston (when he is not super aggressive). Natalie loves to play "chase" with Weston and they will spend lots of time chasing each other around the house laughing and giggling.
Natalie enjoys blocks and anything small that can fit in her hand. She will spend a lot of time sitting in front of the blocks, stacking and re-stacking. She also loves to knock everything over. So, it is probably a good thing that she enjoys stacking so much! She enjoys her kitchen and loves to play with her pretend food. Mainly, she just hides the food in the cupboards - both her play kitchen and in the real kitchen! Natalie is our little squirrel. I find random toys in every cupboard, drawer, crevice, and compartment of the house. She loves to hide things and put things "away."
Natalie is also our little independent one. She enjoys playing, but she also needs her time to herself. She will go into her room and shut the door just to have some quiet time. I usually find her just sitting on the rocking chair or reading a book in the corner of the room. She is so funny.
We love our little Natalie. She is a fireball of energy and has a firecracker of a personality. She is strong-willed and independent, yet sweet and kind. She is so loving and soft. We love having her in our family!
I can't believe your baby is two! She really is adorable. I hope you are able to get SOME diagnosis, but maybe she really just is a stubborn little girl. They tried to send Seth to baby physical therapy at 10 months because he wasn't even attempting to crawl, but by 11 months he was fine. Stubborn children!
ReplyDelete