Monday, December 6, 2010

Angels, Dragons, and a Christmas Story

I was hoping to do the "Twenty-Four Days of Christmas" where we read a Christmas story each day until Christmas.  We attempted but as Roland opened to the first page and saw how long the story was, he gave me the look of "good luck!"  I quickly realized this wasn't going to happen, but didn't want to give up. 

I looked around and saw the toys the kids had just been playing with.  I quickly grabbed the little stuffed lamb, bear, and angel bear.  I told Weston that the bear was a shepherd and that the lamb was his little lamb he was taking care of in the fields.  I then brought in the angel bear who swooped in next to the shepherd.  I told him that angels came to shepherds to tell them that Jesus was born.  This is why we celebrate Christmas.  It was a whole elaborate production, but you get the picture.

Weston got out of it, "Christmas, Jesus, and birthday."  I guess that's good enough.  But, he did look at me with great disapproval though when I consistently referred to the angel bear as an angel.  He made sure to correct me.  "Mom, it's a dragon, not an angel."  So, we had a dragon terrorizing the house for the next twenty minutes.

So, apparently a dragon announced to shepherds in the field of Christ's birth.  How's that for a story?

No comments:

Post a Comment