Thursday, July 8, 2010

The first sting

Weston got his first insect sting yesterday. Poor little guy. I must give him accolades though for hanging in like a true trooper.

It was off to the playground again. We came fully stocked with snacks, drinks, and toys. I was hoping to be there for a while to get all of the wiggles out that had accumulated throughout the day.

All was going well aside from the intense heat. I was hoping we would be fine seeing as it was slightly overcast but I significantly misjudged how stinkin' hot it still was, not to mention the fact that it felt like we were in an aquarium. But, the kids had fun anyway. I watched as beads of sweat dripped from both of them and faces turned scarlet red. Natalie couldn't stop drinking (patting my back for remembering those cups). I felt bad, but they were enjoying themselves so I decided to continue to endure.

I had seen an occasional wasp flying around but didn't think too much of it as I had seen them a lot lately. Weston was heading underneath the playground platform to get a drink from his cup when I heard a yelp. I looked over to see a wasp fly away and a poor little Weston clutch his arm in pain. He looked at me with pleading eyes as he danced there in pain screaming "ouchie, ouchie!" Poor little guy!

He came over to me carefully babying his arm like it was in a splint and explained to me through tears about his new ouchie on his arm. I told him that we would go home to get some ice to make the ouchie go bye bye. He sniffled an "okay" and he sullenly walked beside me as we made the walk back to the apartment.

I was impressed with how brave he was being. After the initial shock, he calmed down and did what he needed to do to go home. I felt terrible that after the pain he went through, he then had to walk all the way home in the heat with his poor throbbing arm. He walked by my side clutching his arm the entire way. At one point it was too much for him so I was there carrying a child in each arm up the hill. In the end, they both ended up walking the last bit. I was pooped.

We walked in the door all dripping with sweat. Drinks were handed out again and I ran to grab some ice. Weston welcomed the cold compress on his arm with a big smile. We spent the next ten minutes with him enjoying his snack on the floor while I iced his arm.

Other than a poke and red swollen arm you couldn't tell he had been harmed. He was back up and having the time of his life within a short time. What a little trooper. Well there you have it Weston - your first sting. Congratulations.

2 comments:

  1. Poor little guy! I hate wasps, bees and hornets. Hate, hate, hate them.

    As a professional sting survivor (I think I'm on #6 now) I recommend the following: get mud on it ASAP. Make some if you have to. Then, as soon as you get home, mix baking soda with water and paste it on. Best soothing method I've found.

    May this be the first and last, Weston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Megan, thanks! I had no idea to do all of that. I will be prepared next time!

    ReplyDelete