Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Earrings

So it finally happened!  Natalie is potty trained.  Just two weeks before her fourth birthday, I can say she is officially trained.  Oh man, I thought this day would never come. 

After a year and a half of struggling, she finally did it.  She certainly is a stubborn little thing.  She wanted to do it in her own time, that's for sure.  She always liked the idea of being potty trained but didn't like the work involved, nor did she like surrendering control.  So, she often used accidents to let us know that she was in charge.  What a disaster.  But, it is done and we couldn't be happier.

As her reward after four days of no accidents, we promised her earrings.  She couldn't wait.  This was the thing that finally got her excited and motivated.  The day arrived and we set out to get her earrings done.

Roland's sisters were in town visiting so Friday (11/29) we went to the Stonebriar Mall to watch "Wreck-It Ralph."  Which, by the way, is the funniest movie ever.  We all loved it.  After the movie, we walked over to Claires.  Natalie was excited but you could also tell she was a little nervous.  After sitting in the chair for a while getting her ears marked, she exclaims, "I'm done, I'm done!"  I held her and talked to her for a minute and asked if she wanted to get her earrings or if she would like to just go home.  I told her she didn't have to do this if she didn't want to.  After thinking for a moment, she told me she wanted the earrings and we set her back down in the chair.


The poor thing had no idea what was about to happen.  One girl got on each side, they counted to three, Natalie had fear struck in her eyes, and bam, it was done.  She instantly flung, and shook, and began to sob.  I felt terrible.  She held onto her poor little ears and just kept yelling that her ears hurt.  She had professional tears dripping down her face.  After holding her for a moment, Roland took her next door to See's Candies for a free sample to make her feel better while I took care of payment. 

By the time I was done, she was settling down.  Since, she has determined that she likes her earrings, but certainly didn't care for the way they came about. I'm glad that is over.  Such a sad sight to see!  But, like my mom always told me when I was little, "It hurts to be beautiful!"







No comments:

Post a Comment