Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sunbeams

Sunday January 2, 2011


Weston turned a Sunbeam at church and made the momentous switch out of nursery.  It was a crazy day for us because I had to meet and sit with my new class of four year olds in primary and Roland had to run around and do his Sunday School duties to make sure that everyone had a teacher and everyone was in the right classes.  So, trying to coordinate who would be at Weston's nursery graduation was a challenge. 

I ran quickly to the library to make my copies when Roland ran in and said he needed to make his rounds and that Weston was all by himself.  I quickly finished what I was doing and ran into the nursery classroom.  He was sitting on a chair, crying.  Poor guy.  He does not deal with change very well and this was obviously very overwhelming to him. 

All of the parents gathered around their children as they handed out the "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" necklaces and took pictures.  Weston just sat next to me in a chair and cried.  He didn't want anything to do with the necklace and refused to have his picture taken. 

It came time to go into the primary room and Weston was still crying.  I walked him to his class where he refused to sit, so he sat with me and my class.  They decided to have all of the Sunbeams stand at the front so we could sing "Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam."  I walked up with Weston who protested loudly.  I needed to hold him but as the chorus rang out he protested louder and louder.  Each time he heard "Sunbeam" he shrieked with utter disdain and frustration. 

After quite the show, I decided to sit down about half way through the song.  Roland walked in shortly after and informed me that he could hear the spectacle down the hall.  Lovely.

Daddy sat with Weston the rest of the time.  He did much better with Daddy next to him.  He became more and more comfortable and even helped during music time.  He was so excited to be needed and to be able to hold up a sign.  He grinned from ear to ear. 

Apparently he did really well in class.  He participated and enjoyed being with his "friends."  Since then, he has done significantly better and sits with his class by himself.  He loves sunbeams and loves being a big boy with all of his friends. He is really cute to watch in singing time.  Sometimes he gets a little distracted but I think he enjoys being there with all of the other kids and loves being included.  He is our little social butterfly for sure.

The following are my attempts at pictures.  Weston refused to open his eyes.  What a stinker!

No comments:

Post a Comment